If you are about to easy to write an impressive college essay editing be charged with an offence, or are under investigation by the police, you will almost certainly be asked if you wish to have a formal police interview.
Whether or not you speak to the police is a fundamental issue. Cases are often won or lost depending on whether a person participated in a record of interview.
In Queensland, a person has a right to silence. For criminal lawyers, the right to silence is one of the most important concepts in our criminal justice system. It is closely related to the principle that a person is innocent until proven guilty.
The right to silence means that a person who is under investigation may decline to be interviewed by the police. It also means that the fact that you did not talk to the police cannot later be used against you. In other words, you cannot be penalised for staying silent.
Anything that you say to a police officer (even if it is in an informal setting) may be recorded and/or later used as evidence against you.
If you are under investigation, you should seek specialised legal advice before you talk to the police.
If you are under investigation by the police. or have been taken into custody, we may be able to provide you with free, no-obligation, urgent legal advice. Call us now on (07) 3190 9242 or email us for a fast response.
Why choose Jasper Fogerty Lawyers?
- Leading Queensland lawyers. We offer superior, strategic and confident representation for all criminal investigations and charges. We are QLS Accredited Specialists in Criminal Law and have over 20 years of combined experience in the criminal justice system.
- Experienced and proven. We are experienced and highly respected advocates who appear in all Queensland Courts. We personally undertake almost all sentence advocacy in the Magistrates Courts and work with Queensland's best barristers and advocates.
- Thorough and strategic. We analyse every case on its individual merits, and will explore every angle to achieve the best outcome for you.
- Accessible and responsive. We are personally reachable by our clients, with a commitment to swift and timely responses.
- Holistic and personalised. Where appropriate, we work with highly regarded barristers, medical and health professionals and other experts to ensure that all aspects of your case are dealt with.
- Competitive rates. Our experience and commitment to justice allows us to provide superior representation at affordable rates.