The lowest level of assault offence is called common assault. The maximum penalty for this offence is three years imprisonment and it must be finalised in the Magistrates Court.
An assault is defined as any application of force to another person either directly or indirectly. This means that it is assault if you push someone, punch them, slap them or hit them with anything, whether it is a feather pillow or an iron bar. If the person who is assaulted doesn’t suffer any injury the charge is generally common assault.
Common assault charges are common in Queensland Magistrates Courts. They can cover a very wide range of behaviours and the penalties that are imposed also vary widely. The latest sentencing statistics show that more than 1,700 people are year are convicted of common assault in Queensland courts. The statistics also show that approximately 60% of those people are sentenced to either a good behaviour bond or a fine.
Why choose Jasper Fogerty Lawyers?
- Leading Queensland lawyers. We offer superior, strategic and confident representation for assault and violence charges. We are QLS Accredited Specialists in Criminal Law and have over 20 years of combined experience in the criminal justice system.
- Experienced and proven. We are experienced and highly respected advocates who appear in all Queensland Courts. We personally undertake almost all sentence advocacy on behalf of clients charged with assault matters in the Magistrates Court.
- Thorough and strategic. We analyse every case on its individual merits, and will explore every angle to achieve the best outcome for you.
- Accessible and responsive. We are personally reachable by our clients, with a commitment to swift and timely responses.
- Holistic and personalised. Where appropriate, we work with highly regarded barristers, medical and health professionals and other experts to ensure that all aspects of your case are dealt with.
- Competitive rates. Our experience and commitment to justice allows us to provide superior representation at affordable rates.