Bodily harm is defined in the criminal code as any injury that interferes with health or comfort. It is often described as being a “breaking of the true skin”, meaning an injury that involves bruising or bleeding. Very serious injuries can meet the definition of bodily harm and the maximum penalty is 7 years. If the assault involved a weapon of any kind or was committed by 2 or more people acting together the maximum penalty is 10 years.
The statistics show that charges of assault occasioning bodily harm are about as common as common assaults, but the penalties are much higher, which more than a third of offenders being sentenced to terms of imprisonment.
Why choose Jasper Fogerty Lawyers?
- Leading Queensland lawyers. We offer superior, strategic and confident representation for assault and violence charges. We are QLS Accredited Specialists in Criminal Law and have over 20 years of combined experience in the criminal justice system.
- Experienced and proven. We are experienced and highly respected advocates who appear in all Queensland Courts. We personally undertake almost all sentence advocacy on behalf of clients charged with assault matters in the Magistrates Court.
- Thorough and strategic. We analyse every case on its individual merits, and will explore every angle to achieve the best outcome for you.
- Accessible and responsive. We are personally reachable by our clients, with a commitment to swift and timely responses.
- Holistic and personalised. Where appropriate, we work with highly regarded barristers, medical and health professionals and other experts to ensure that all aspects of your case are dealt with.
- Competitive rates. Our experience and commitment to justice allows us to provide superior representation at affordable rates.